Tuesday 30 April 2013

22 Things You Can Do Today to Change Your Photography Forever


I found this list from a website called Improved Photography which has some brilliant advice on all aspects of taking photos and camera equipment. I thought it would be fun to see if I could complete the list myself. I still have quite a few yet to complete and hopefully I can work my way through them.

For the full article please click on this link for 22 Things You Can Do Today to Change Your Photography Forever

So far I have completed number 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 22. See details below.


Action #1: Learn every function your camera is capable of performing (2 hours)

Action #2: Prepare your work for exhibition (Several hours)

Action #3: Enter a photography contest (25 minutes)

Action #4: Look up the best photo you have ever seen and decide why YOU like it (15 minutes)

Action #5: Print your best 75 photos and have a non-photographer critique them (2 hours)

Action #6: Write a guest post for a photography blog (35 minutes)

Action #7: Shoot night photography in your own city(2 hours)

Action #8: Make your photography learning a “T.”

Action #9: Learn a new Photoshop trick by following a tutorial (10 minutes)

Action #10: Put together an online photography portfolio (30 minutes)

I have an online gallery that can be found at the following link http://leahlisgophotos.carbonmade.com/

It's easy to set up a gallery with carbon made. You can start with a free page with up to 5 projects and 35 photos. For $12 a month you can have 50 projects and 500 images.

Action #11: Create a Facebook fan page for your photography (15 minutes)

Earlier this year I started setting up a Facebook page, I added photos, profile picture and a header picture. Just this week I made it available for everyone to see. It was easy and free for me to do and I can now share my photos with everyone who is interested regardless of whether they are on my friends list or not. You can view my Facebook page here at: https://www.facebook.com/leahlisgophotography

Action #12: Print one of your photos large, and put it on the wall in your own home or business (1 hour)

I decided it was about time I had one of my photos printed onto canvas and I saw a good offer for getting one printed for £8 plus £7 postage, so a total of £15 for an A2 landscape canvas. This is the photo I had printed. I will add a photo once I have the canvas on the wall.




Action #13: Take your camera into a dark room (10 minutes)

I now use a digital camera, so my dark room is my laptop and Photoshop. But back when I was studying at University and taking a short course in photography I got to spend some time in the dark room. It's great fun to be able to watch your photo come to life in front of you. Unfortunately all my dark room photos are packed away somewhere so I can't scan one in to show you.

Action #14: Create a photography bucket list (30 minutes)

I started a photography bucket list on my Pinterest page. To see the full list see my Pinterest Bucket List Board

Included on the list is:

  • Aurora Borealis - Northern lights
  • Rocky Mountains
  • Grand Canyon
  • Giants Causeway
  • Steps at Sacre Coeur in Paris



Action #15: If you love shooting portraits, discover Model Mayhem

Action #16: Start a photo essay (1 hour)

Action #17:  If you live in the United States, go register your photos (30 minutes)

Action #18: Make some photo buddies (20 minutes)

I do already have photography buddies, although they don't all live close by. But I have learnt lots from them over the years.

Action #19: Make a list of 20 locations you want to shoot this year (1 hour)

Action #20: Rent a new lens

Action #21: Go read the two best photography tutorials ever written (35 minutes)

Action #22: Share this article on Facebook or Twitter by pressing the button at the top right

Of course I am now sharing this article with you all. I hope you enjoyed reading through and those who are interested setting yourself the challenges above. I will keep updating this as I complete another of the items.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...